Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Age of Independence

The question of when do young adults become independent is a very interesting and difficult question. In my opinion, it completely depends on the individual. For instance, there are boys and girls across the world, sometimes as young as 5 years old or even younger, that become responsible for one or more members of their family. There are young children, especially in poorer countries such as countries in Africa who have sick or dead parents and therefore the responsibility of parenting the other members of the family fall into their hands. In this case, these children are independent at this young age because they are forced to work, provide food, clothing, and shelter for their family. However, more typical in the United States, there are some 30 year olds that still are not independent. It is very common for teenagers to believe that they are ready to be independent before they actually are. However, I think once they enter college and realize how difficult it is to provide food for themselves and keep their dorm and clothes clean and tidy, they realize they are not as mature and independent as they thought they were. I, personally, believe I will be perfectly fine on my own in college. However, deep down I know that it will be extremely difficult to not have dinner ready at the table every night at 6 p.m and not having my mom to help me wash my clothes. I agree with Sal's post that true independence comes when an individual is forced to provide for themselves completely by themselves without the help of their family's money. Once someone has to provide for a wife or husband and a family of their own, it truly marks independence.

1 comment:

Sal said...

I think one of the reasons for the difficulty is because society tells teens all the time that they need to grow up and be responsible etc...but then it is not really possible to "grow up" when we are dependent emotionally and financially on our parents.