Thursday, May 1, 2008

Doin' TIme

I thought that the t.v. show we watched, 30 days, was extremely interesting. I learned a lot of things about going to jail and what goes on there and I previously had a misconception about. Some things, I thought were much harsher than actually was the case at the jail that was visited in the show. However, there were some aspects of the jail and the people that were in jail that I thought were ridiculous. After watching that show, I started to think about whether the strategies and processes that jails carry out are actually beneficial. There were so many drug addicts and people that had slight to severe mental illnesses. Do people really think that locking them up with no treatment or help is going to solve anything? In my opinion, doing a very intense observation of people convicted of something before getting put directly in jail could solve numerous problems. First of all, it would immensely help the large number of people that are currently in our jail system (especially in Illinois) and it would help to get rid of a lot of the congestion our jail system is currently experiencing. Also, if we put people with drug issues and mental issues in places that can help them, I would imagine that when they were released from these places, they would have a much less likely chance of going back to jail because their problem was dealt with. Personally, I think that throwing people in jail no matter what their condition may be is extremely stupid, and simply a way to avoid the time, money, and effort it would take to actually correct what may be wrong with these people and truly make the world safer. 

No comments: