Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Minimum Wage

After watching 30 days at minimum wage, it really opened my eyes to the world beyond what I have lived in my whole life. Just seeing how much of a struggle that Morgan and his fiance went through in the first couple of days showed how hard it would truly be to live on minimum wage. Then, the day where his fiance gets a U.T.I and he has to go to the emergency room because of his risk, it really opened my eyes when seeing how many people were in line for the free clinic. I think that when our classes watch it, we more or less just think how unfortunate it must be for those people, meanwhile we have nice cars, nice homes, and nice clothes. Now, I don't think there is any reason to be ashamed or feel bad about having these nice things, because, at least for me, my dad has worked harder than anyone I know to get us all of the things we have today. However, after watching this and studying this unit I really wish that I could do something to help these people. My mom volunteers at a place similar to the one in the show that is affiliated with our church and people can come and pick up necessities. I often donate clothes to this place which I guess does help somewhat. I just wish there was a way that I could make a difference in helping these people or getting them necessities like health care more easily. When I go to college and especially when I start living on my own I know I want to volunteer like my mom does, and after seeing this t.v. show and learning about this unit I think that I will turn my volunteer efforts to help the poor and people that are forced to work minimum wage and support a family. 

No comments: